RETRO CIRCLES

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Night and Vent

Magnolia slept really well last night....that is the good news.  The bad news is they tried to wean her off her sedative, Versed. She did not tolerate that.  The night nurse upped it back up so Magnolia was fully sedated last night.  She is still on Tylenol every 4 hours. Last night she ran only a slight fever and did not need the Tordol on top of the Tylenol.  Due to the fever and the possible infection she was kept on her anti-biotic, Zosyn.  They still have her on high doses of Fentanyl for pain. She also had potassium last night.

This morning Magnolia had a much better blood gas so the goal for now is to get her off the sedative and wean her off the vent so we can extubate. The next couple of hours are going to be long because she fights the vent when she is off the sedative but she is not proving she can breathe off the vent yet.  They just told us they are weaning her off the sedative and have started to turn the vent down.  Now Magnolia needs to start breathing over the top the vent and all the sedative needs to wear off.

Magnolia needs to prove she can breathe mostly on her own for about an hour with no sedative and then they will run another blood gas.  If that passes, anesthesia will be called to join our doctor to extubate her.  She is an extremely hard little girl to intubate so they want to be ready in case they need to get an airway going.  I am worried that she is getting used to the vent breathing for her and will not want to pick up her breathing by herself.  This was our biggest fear the last time she was put on a vent and it is still my fear this time.  It is going to be a hard morning for Magnolia and a hard morning for us to watch her go through this and not be able to help her.

6 comments:

  1. Magnolia and your family are in our prayers! We really appreciate all the details in the blog. I let my daughter, Addie, read it and now she and I can share the experience of praying and caring for your sweet, little family in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little by little good news are trickling in and I am so happy!!
    It must be very hard for Magnolia and you right now, I cannot even imagine. But I know that our kids have proven to be very strong, to be fighters. She will fight this off.
    I am hoping for an easy morning, no pain, and great test results, so she can be extubated.
    Thinking of you and sending love your way.
    I wish we lived closer so I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is crumbling; I know that feeling of helplessness. Hilary, you are such a strong woman; you and Magnolia have not been far from my thoughts. I wish there was something I could say or do to help. At this time, all I can do is continue to pray for her strength. Our kids are amazing; their power and will is incredible and surpasses our own.

    Kaylee wants Nolie to remember that they have a standing playdate in Central Park; she cannot wait to take in Times Square and the excitement of the city with her girlfriend this summer. She whispered something to me this morning about FAO Schwartz and us taking their picture in matching "I Love NY" t-shirts. We both cannot wait to love on your princess. Know that our thoughts are always with you; call if you need me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary-
    Magnolia...all of you!...have been in my prayers and a constant on my mind. I'm watching the blog for updates and cannot wait for the post you'll make that Nolie is home, comfortable and snuggling her family. My oldest was in/out of the hospital her first year and I remember vividly those same feelings of not being able to help or comfort her. My heart hurts for you during those moments, Hil. Several things we can all be certain of, though: God is good, Magnolia is a fighter and prayer is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear of some improvement. I hope she can be extubated and weaned off her pain meds very soon. And, hoping for an improved blood gas. Hope you can bring your sweet girl home soon. Thinking of you.

    Caitlin (Ramona, 5 years old, WHS)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still praying. She is such a tough little girl. Love from our family to yours. Thank you for the updates.

    ReplyDelete