RETRO CIRCLES

Friday, June 24, 2011

Recovering

Magnolia is still not back to her normal self but she is getting a little better each day.  She is still extremely weak and is uncomfortable.  She is very fussy and cries a lot.  This is from a little girl who hardly ever cries and I really mean almost never. In the OR after she was born and the nurses brought her over to me I kept saying, 'She is not crying is everything okay?' When the doctors extubated her they kept waiting for her to cry.  They got nervous when she didn't cry.  This is after we kept telling the doctors and nurses that she doesn't cry. No one believes us, but it is true.  So to hear her cry all day and night now is scary.  We know she hurts and is uncomfortable but we can't fix it.  Her bowels are still trying to recover so she has horrible diaper rash. Her bowels are working so quickly that her body is not getting everything it needs from her formula.  We are trying to slow her system down without backing it up.  It is a delicate balance and we are trying to find it.  She has started to take her bottle again, but gets very tired while eating.  She is still very weak and can't seem to muster the energy needed to take a full feeding, but we are working on it. 

The dressing is off her surgery scar and so are the bandages for her central line.  You can see all the suture marks from them tacking down her central line.  Her surgery incision looks great. 
It looks like she got in a fight with a fork

The surgeon used the same incision as she did for her previous surgery.

Tummy time is hard work

Magnolia just started to smile again.  It was starting to bother Toller that he couldn't get her to smile.  She doesn't offer them as freely as she was, but we know she will again soon. 

Oh how we missed this sweet smile

8 comments:

  1. Hilary, I am so glad that Magnolia is on the mend! I am so sorry for all that she and you guys have had to go through. I just love her sweet smile - it made my day. Hugs to you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know she isn't back to "normal" just yet but I think she looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sweet Magnolia... She WILL bounce back! I've noticed the same with Denise - when she gets sick, and she used to get sick a lot in the first 2 years, she will lose weight and it will take a bit longer for her to recover. They lose weight so quickly and that affects them so much, ugh!! But soon all this will be behind you, and will feel like a bad dream.

    Have you tried giving her probiotics? This might help her digestion, and make it more effective.

    Her cheeks though look fuller, and the dimple is there now :)) I love the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that sweet precious smile and hope that Magnolia continues to get better with each passing day!
    Thanks for posting and updating us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary - so great to hear she is on the mend. Have you asked the Pedi for a script for diaper cream? Ours just gave us a new one call 1-2-3 and it is awesome. Just know we are hear for you - anytime. By the way - why don't you get on facebook? And if you are - you seriously need to "friend" me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just getting ready to text you for an update, but then I remembered that I didn't check your blog yesterday. I know that it seems like a hard, long road to getting things back to "normal" but you will get there! If you had asked me 2 weeks ago if I thought Kaylee would ever be smiling again, I would have broken down and said "no way." However, today she is a happy, smiling, laughing, and dare I say it...pudgy...little girl. Prayers for a continued upswing in her recovery. I am here if you need me. Hugs and kisses to you all!xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnolia is so beautiful! I am so glad that she is recovering after such a terrible scare. I look forward to reading more about Magnolia and seeing her adorable pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilary, really pray so that Magnolia will recover soon. She's really adorable... Love her so much!

    ReplyDelete